Corporate/Commercial Paralegal Opportunity
We endeavour to maintain the highest standard of service to our clients. This can only be accomplished by employing qualified, educated and motivated staff.
We are currently looking for a Paralegal to join our Corporate/Commercial Group in our Halifax office. We are seeking an individual who has a comprehensive knowledge of corporate law and property law, including incorporations, conveyancing and financing.
Key areas of Responsibility
- Organization and maintenance of NS and Federal corporations and societies, extra-provincial registrations in other Canadian jurisdictions, and business name and limited partnership registrations;
- Attend to share alterations and transactions, name and other corporate changes, dissolutions, to continuances, amalgamations and restorations;
- Conduct due diligence searches and reviews, organize corporate records, draft corporate documents and assist in rectifying deficiencies in corporate records;
- Assist lawyers in document preparation and completion of commercial transactions and projects including corporate restructurings, reorganizations, acquisitions and mergers. Also assist with PPSA searches, registrations, renewals and discharges if required.
- Organize and manage all property files and documents
- Prepare agreements, deeds, easements, Directions, Statements of Adjustments & Proceeds, and all related documentation for residential and commercial property transactions
- Communicate effectively with lawyers, clients and external organizations (i.e. RJSC) with a view to the accurate interpretation of instructions and requirements;
- Provide clients with accurate and timely service, projecting yourself as a professional and knowledgeable resource.
Responsibility, Judgment and Resourcefulness
- Under the supervision of a lawyer, exercise independent judgment and resourcefulness in the resolution of problems which may involve the gathering, coordination, verification and compilation of documents and information;
- Work with minimal supervision, with the ability to exercise reliable judgment in seeking additional lawyer direction as required;
- Ability to work to time sensitive deadline, multitask and prioritize deadlines;
- Accept responsibility for your completed work in terms of accuracy, deadlines, etc;
- The candidate should have a flexible work attitude in regard to assignments. Occasional overtime may be required and flexibility in a work schedule is a must, especially at peak periods.
- File Administration: Maintain up-to-date time records; Ensure supervising lawyer is provided with ongoing status of progress
- Quality Control: Follow up on files to ensure timely responses; Monitor on a periodic basis for file activity; Liaise with assistants and other support staff to ensure strong communication and consistency in file management and client contact; other duties as assigned.
Experience and Educational Requirements
Our ideal candidate would have a minimum of three years' experience in a similar, professional environment, preferably in a commercial paralegal role.
Strong computer skills are required, as well as the ability to follow detailed instructions and take ownership of final product. Post-secondary education is also required and should have some relevance to a legal environment.
Interested candidates should contact Linda Patriquin via email at email@example.com
While we thank everyone for their application, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.