Litigation Paralegal Opportunity
Patterson Law is an established Nova Scotia law firm with offices in Halifax, Truro and New Glasgow. We endeavour to maintain the highest standard of service to our clients. This can only be accomplished by employing qualified, educated and motivated staff.
We have an immediate opening for an experienced Litigation Paralegal, working primarily with our civil litigation/personal injury lawyers, in our downtown Halifax location.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Conduct cold call in-take interview with potential clients to collect necessary particulars for conflict inquiry;
- Circulate conflict inquiry and follow up as necessary with both client and lawyer;
- Participate in the initial contact between client and lawyer; obtain all necessary authorizations for release of client information;
- Liaise with client subsequent to initial interview to obtain further particulars re: liability, damages, wage loss, housekeeping and out-of-pocket expenses;
- Assist with Section B claims as necessary and prepare Section B summaries of expenses and other routine documents;
- Conduct telephone conferences with client to advise status of file and obtain additional information;
- Draft and dispatch correspondence (under the lawyer’s supervision);
- Contact witnesses to motor vehicle accidents, medical personnel, employers, police, insurance personnel and others to develop case;
- Contact opposing counsel and court personnel.
- Schedule legal activities;
- Discoveries – Schedule, issue discovery Subpoena, arrange witnesses, obtain discovery transcripts, etc.;
- Trials – draft Notice of Trial, co-ordinate date assignment conference, arrange witness for trial (including issuance of subpoenas), prepare documents for chambers application, assist in procurement of expert’s reports, assist in the preparation of exhibit books and casebook of authorities;
- Conduct basic legal research;
- Assist with preparation of settlement proposals;
- Assist with retaining expert witnesses and preparation of brochures (medical and non-medical documentation);
- Complete pre-judgment interest calculations;
- Prepare bill of costs;
- Prepare affidavit disclosing documents;
- Prepare Originating Notice and statement of Claim;
- Arrange for service or diarize for renewal;
- Ensure limitation dates are diarized;
- Correspondence arising from above.
- Prepare contingency fee arrangements;
- Organize file according to issues;
- Scan documents into Eclipse, summarize as per instructions from lawyer;
- Ensure undertakings are met;
- Routine instructions to clients;
- Maintain up-to-date time records;
- Ensure supervising lawyer is provided with ongoing status of progress.
- Follow up on files to ensure timely responses;
- Monitor on a periodic basis for file activity;
- Liaise with assistants and other support staff to ensure strong communication and consistency in file management and client contact;
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a similar, professional environment is necessary. Some of this experience may have been acquired in related junior positions.
- Strong computer skills and IT knowledge are required, as well as ability to follow detailed instructions and take ownership of final product.
- The candidate should have a flexible work attitude in regard to assignments.
- Knowledge of the practice areas stated above would be a definite asset
- Past experience with personal injury litigation would be a definite asset
- Litigation support software experience is a definite asset.
If you are interested in and meet the requirements of this position, please apply with resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.