Published December 3, 2020
Patterson Law is an established Nova Scotia law firm with offices in Truro, New Glasgow, Halifax, and Bridgewater and with clients whose interests range from global to purely local. Our more than 130 lawyers and staff are dedicated to meeting our clients’ diverse legal needs. We endeavour to maintain the highest standard of service to our clients. This can only be accomplished by employing qualified, educated and motivated staff.
We have an immediate opening for an experienced Accounting Manager at our Truro office located at 10 Church Street.
Reporting directly to the Chief Operating Officer, the Accounting Manager will directly manage all day-to-day accounting activities for the firm as well as overseeing all aspects of building maintenance and facilities contracts with third party vendors. The Accounting Manager is an integral part of month-end and year-end processing along with being the primary liaison with external auditors. The Accounting staff will report directly to the Accounting Manager.
This is a permanent full-time position. Standard work hours are Monday to Friday, but the Accounting Manager must be flexible and able to work overtime when needed.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Manage and oversee the daily operations of the Accounting department including all billing, accounts receivable, accounts payable, and general journal entries
- Establish, communicate, and enforce proper accounting methods, policies, and procedures
- Ensure accurate and regular balancing of bank and credit card accounts, including Trust accounts
- Monthly preparation and processing of payments to partners and contract lawyers
- Prepare financial reports for COO on a recurring basis and upon request, including monthly f/s, cashflow (daily/weekly/monthly/yearly), lawyer/staff statistical reports, review of key performance indicators and any other larger project reports as required
- Assist COO with budget preparation
- Assist COO with coordination of year end work with external accountants, preparing working papers and compiling information as required
- Investigation of ways to streamline and increase efficiencies within financial reporting systems and processes
- Review and assessment of period end accruals, reconciliations, intercompany accounting and other key accounts.
- Communication, as primary contact, with financial institutions, Canada Revenue Agency and other regulatory bodies with respect to audits, inquiries and information requests
- Prepare and remit payments to third party vendors, including Canada Revenue Agency
- Assist with preparation of information for firm tax returns and trust returns
- Oversee contract management for internal and external contractors, including periodic review of contracts to ensure the best options for the firm are being utilized
- Administrative contact for the Bar Society and firm insurance providers
- Preparation of annual insurance applications for excess liability coverage including reporting any claims to insurance providers
- Hire, coach, train and lead Accounting staff ensuing accounting staff meet accurate and consistent completion of daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly tasks
- Facilitate building maintenance and repair requests
- Provide back-up support for payroll processing and group insurance and pension administration
- Post-secondary education in the field of finance/accounting with five (5) or more years of relevant experience
- Accounting experience in a law firm or professional services setting would be ideal
- Professional Accounting Certification (CPA) is considered an asset
- Solid knowledge and understanding of generally accepted accounting principles
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple requests concurrently
- Highly computer literate – MS Office with strong Excel skills, accounting software
- Superior organizational skills
- High attention to detail and extreme accuracy
- Calm under pressure with superior interpersonal skills
- Clear and effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to lead and work with a high-functioning team
- Team player and willing to help out wherever needed
- Strong analytical skills to effectively think a problem through and offer resolutions
- Demonstrate discretion and sound judgement in handling of confidential information this includes a high degree of integrity and trust
The new Accounting Manager is needed as soon as possible. If you are interested in this dynamic role and meet the requirements of this position, please apply with resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Patterson Law offers a competitive compensation package to reflect our employees’ knowledge and experience. We offer a comprehensive employee benefits plan, an employer-matching retirement savings plan, and a great working environment which is team-oriented.
Patterson Law hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to employment equity and welcome diversity. Applications are encouraged from all interested and qualified individuals.