Legal Assistant Required
Published October 16, 2020
We have an immediate opening for an experienced Legal Assistant in our Halifax office located at 2016 Quinn Street.
Purpose: Reporting to the Office Manager, the Legal Assistant will provide administrative support to the lawyers and overflow support for other office staff members. The primary practice areas include property, wills & estates, probate, and corporate/commercial. The Legal Assistant will also be responsible for some general office and reception duties.
Work Schedule: This is a permanent full-time position. Standard work hours are Monday to Friday 9:00-5:00. Some flexibility and occasional overtime may be required.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Administrative support, including file openings, scheduling of appointments, file clean outs, managing incoming communication such as faxes, deliveries, etc.
- Document preparation including property transaction documents, memos, letters, bank reports, etc.
- Assist in follow-up with clients, opposing counsel, financial institutions, etc. to ensure that all required information is received, everyone is informed and everything is in place for the closing
- Utilizing appropriate systems to their fullest advantage in generating documents, correspondence, BF’s, etc.
- Keeping lawyers and impacted colleagues informed of any problems or delays in the completion of assigned tasks on the file
- Overflow support for administrative staff during periods of absence or heavy workload
- General office and reception duties, including answering the phone, greeting clients, processing payments in-person and over the phone as required
- Scanning and filing
- Completion of other administrative tasks and projects as assigned
- Formal legal administrative assistant education and training
- Experience working with a high volume of property transactions would be ideal
- Corporate/commercial or wills/estates/probate legal experience are definite assets
- Familiarity with the Land Registration Act, Regulations, Land Registration Manual and prescribed forms
- Advanced computer skills, particularly with Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, etc.)
- Strong focus on the details and able to take and follow instructions with precision
- A strong knowledge of spelling, grammar, and punctuation to ensure quality control of reports and correspondence
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with ability to listen effectively, respond appropriately, and maintain mutual comfort level while relating to a diverse group of individuals
- Able to remain productive within time-sensitive and fast-paced environment
- Proven problem-solving skills with the ability to visualize and deliver creative solutions
- Ability to multitask, establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives under minimal supervision
- Collaborative team player, who is energetic, flexible, and willing to pitch in wherever necessary
The new Legal Assistant is needed as soon as possible. If you are interested in this dynamic role and meet the requirements of this position, please apply with resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Patterson Law is an established Nova Scotia law firm with offices in Truro, New Glasgow, Halifax, and Bridgewater and with clients whose interests range from global to purely local. Our more than 130 lawyers and staff are dedicated to meeting our clients’ diverse legal needs. We endeavour to maintain the highest standard of service to our clients. This can only be accomplished by employing qualified, educated and motivated staff.
We are pleased to offer our staff a competitive salary, group insurance coverage, and pension plan membership after a year.
Patterson Law hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to employment equity and welcome diversity. Applications are encouraged from all interested and qualified individuals.