Property Assistant (Truro)
Published June 21, 2021
Patterson Law is urgently seeking an experienced Property Assistant at our Truro location, 10 Church Street.
The Property Assistant, under lawyer direction, will assist in all aspects of the file to ensure excellent client service and smooth and efficient workflow. As capacity allows, the Property Assistant will also assist with overflow legal administrative work.
Standard work hours are 34.5 per week, 9:00-5:00 Monday-Friday. Some flexibility and occasional overtime will be required.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Facilitating full cycle real estate transactions and all related work, including purchase, sale, refinance, and new home construction.
- Assisting in the request and review of tax certificates, payout and assumption statements, location certificates, search of title, fire insurance confirmation, other necessary due diligence searches and clearances
- Preparing closing statements, including Statements of Adjustments and Statements of Trust
- Following up with clients, opposing counsel, financial institutions, etc. to ensure that all required information is received, everyone is informed and everything is in place for the closing
- Utilizing appropriate systems to their fullest advantage in generating documents, correspondence, reminders, etc.
- Keeping lawyers and impacted colleagues informed of any problems or delays in the completion of assigned tasks on the file
- Reporting to financial institutions, clients, and other relevant parties following closing
- Following up regarding releases, undertakings, both provided and obtained, at time of closing
- Assisting, as capacity allows, with legal administrative overflow work from other practice areas including transcriptions, document preparation, etc.
- Previous legal administrative experience is essential
- Prior experience working with a high volume of property transactions
- Proficiency using Property Online
- Familiarity with the Land Registration Act, Regulations, Land Registration Manual and prescribed forms
- Property migration and title search experience are assets
- Organized, highly detail-oriented, and able to effectively prioritize
- Excellent proofreading, spelling, and grammar skills
- Energetic, flexible, and willing to pitch in wherever necessary
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Knowledge of Word and Outlook along with an affinity to learn new technology
- Basic accounting skills
- Accurately follows instructions and asks questions to clarify requirements & ensure work is done properly
- Strong written and verbal communication including excellent telephone skills
If you are interested in this fast-paced role and meet the requirements of this position, please apply with resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position will be filled as soon as possible.
We are pleased to offer our staff a competitive salary, group insurance coverage, and pension plan membership after a year.
Patterson Law is an established Nova Scotia law firm with offices in Truro, New Glasgow, Halifax, and Bridgewater and with clients whose interests range from global to purely local. Our more than 130 lawyers and staff are dedicated to meeting our clients’ diverse legal needs. We endeavour to maintain the highest standard of service to our clients. This can only be accomplished by employing qualified, educated and motivated staff.
Patterson Law hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to employment equity and welcome diversity. Applications are encouraged from all interested and qualified individuals.