Wills & Estates/Probate Paralegal
Published September 12, 2023
We are seeking an experienced Wills & Estates/Probate Paralegal at our 2016 Quinn Street office in Halifax.
The successful candidate will complete routine Wills & Estates/Probate work under the supervision of the lawyers for our Quinn Street office. As a professional and knowledgeable resource, the Wills & Estates/Probate Paralegal will provide clients with timely and accurate service.
Work Schedule: This is a full-time position. Standard work hours are 35 per week. Some flexibility and occasional overtime may be required.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Preparation of Wills, Living Wills, Powers of Attorney, and Personal Care Directives
- Preparation and management of Probate files
- Arranging for transfer or redemption of securities and transfer of assets
- Under the supervision of a lawyer, exercise independent judgment and resourcefulness in the resolution of problems which may involve the gathering, coordination, verification and compilation of documents and information
- Maintain up-to-date time records
- Follow-up on files to ensure timely responses
- Monitor for file activity on a periodic basis ensure the supervising lawyer is provided with ongoing status of progress
- Liaise with Assistants and other support staff to ensure strong communication and consistency in file management and client contact
- Strong knowledge of Wills & Estates/Probate law is essential
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience in a similar role
- Successful completion of Paralegal diploma or equivalent
- Work under minimal supervision, with the ability to exercise reliable judgment in seeking additional lawyer direction as required
- Energetic and motivated to problem solve and propose viable solutions to address issues that arise
- Ability to work to time sensitive deadlines, multitask and prioritize of deadlines
- Organized, highly detail-oriented, analytical, and able to effectively prioritize
- Ability to communicate effectively (oral and written) with lawyers, clients, and external organizations with a view to the accurate interpretation of instructions and requirements
The new Paralegal is needed as soon as possible. If you are interested in this dynamic role and meet the requirements of this position, please apply with resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Patterson Law is an established Nova Scotia law firm with offices in Truro, Halifax, New Glasgow, Bridgewater, and Pictou and with clients whose interests range from global to purely local. Our more than 170 lawyers and staff are dedicated to meeting our clients’ diverse legal needs. We endeavour to maintain the highest standard of service to our clients. This can only be accomplished by employing qualified, educated, and motivated staff.
We are pleased to offer our staff a competitive salary and group insurance coverage after one month of employment.
Patterson Law hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to employment equity and welcome diversity. Applications are encouraged from all interested and qualified individuals.
Internal and external candidates will be considered simultaneously for this posting.