Morgan provides a range of corporate/commercial and intellectual property legal assistance to companies of all sizes. He’s helped tech and biotech start-ups protect their IP and get to market, and handled commercial transactions for large companies from international transportation through provincial lotteries, power companies and telecom. He also assists clients from a range of sectors with their corporate structuring, including acquisitions, mergers, joint ventures, shareholder agreements, and corporate re-organizations.
Morgan particularly enjoys affordably helping start-ups and small businesses get their operations up and running. He advises them on their business structure and corporate governance matters, as well as drafting all the contracts needed to get them doing business. He advises on intellectual property, considering what’s patentable or subject to copyright, and what’s best kept a trade-secret. He enjoys advising on branding strategy, helping clients select and protect the best trade-marks to build their valuable goodwill around. He can also advise on freedom to operate issues, helping clients avoid infringement of others’ IP, which can be particularly helpful when building on open-source software.
Before joining Patterson Law, Morgan rowed for Canada in the London Summer Olympics, taught law students and ran a start-up legal clinic at Queen’s University, was responsible for intellectual property protection and commercialization at the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, and was an Associate at a large international law firm.
Areas of Law
- Advising numerous successful start-ups on their intellectual property and corporate/commercial legal needs, both as outside counsel and as a founding director in medical imaging technology and cancer therapeutic companies
- Drafting and negotiating complex contracts in a range of industries, but most notably R&D, manufacturing and licensing agreements with technology, biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies
- Mergers & acquisitions, corporate structuring, corporate financing
- Advising clients on international trucking, shipping and maritime vessel and airplane registration
- Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal 2012
- Morgan represented Canada as a lightweight rower in the 2012 Olympic Games in London, England
- Canadian Bar Association
- Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society
- Dunin-Deshpande Queen’s Innovation Centre Fellow
- Volunteer Review Counsel, Queen’s Business Law Clinic – supervising law students in handling business and IP law matters for Queen’s University and Kingston community start-ups, charities and not-for-profits (2013-2017)
- NFP Board of Directors – Physical and Health Education Canada (2014-2017)
- Course Author & Adjunct Lecturer (Intellectual Property Law & Introduction to Canadian Law) in the Faculty of Law, Queen’s University, Kingston, ON (2017-present)
- Bar Admission: Ontario, 2013
- MBA: Cornell University, Ithaca, New York & Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario, expected 2021
- Juris Doctor: Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario, 2007-2010
- Master of Science in Pathology & Molecular Medicine: Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario, 2005-2008
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) with Distinction, Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario, 2001-2005