Legal Assistant Corporate/Commercial (Downtown Halifax)
Published September 13, 2022
We are seeking a talented administrative professional to join our downtown Halifax office in the busy role of Legal Assistant. Some experience would be great, but if you’re keen, interested to learn, and have strong communication skills, we would love to hear from you!
Reporting to the Administration Manager and assigned lawyer(s), the Legal Assistant provides legal and administrative support to the Corporate/Commercial group, including lawyers and paralegals.
Location: Halifax Office – 1801 Hollis Street
Work Schedule: Standard work hours are 34.5 per week. Some flexibility and overtime can be expected during peak periods.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Managing, coordinating, and ensuring the smooth flow of work in the assigned lawyer(s’) practice.
- Effectively manage client intake, obtaining required information for identification purposes, accurate contact information, etc.
- Ensuring files are opened in the Accounting system as well as physical files
- Filing, organization of files, and ongoing maintenance of files in accordance with lawyer procedures; Closing of files, culling, shredding, preparation for scanning and saving to the document management system.
- General administrative duties, including transcription, scheduling, and arranging meetings, conferences, seminars, lunches, dinners, travel, etc. when required; coordination of lawyers’ billing and following up regarding unpaid accounts; managing incoming and outgoing mail
- As directed by the lawyer/paralegal, prepare, draft, and review correspondence and legal documents maintaining electronic copies and paper copies, if necessary
- Under the supervision of the lawyers and paralegals, exercise strong judgment and resourcefulness in the resolution of problems which may involve the gathering, coordination, verification and compilation of documents and information
- Maintain lawyer calendars including appointment scheduling, submission deadlines, etc.
- Ensuring the lawyer(s) and other staff are provided with ongoing status of progress and flagging items for timely follow-up
- Communicating promptly and effectively (oral and written) with all involved parties including clients, lawyers, colleagues, government agencies, etc. with a view to the accurate interpretation of instructions and requirements
- Maintaining up-to-date time records and assist with monthly billing procedures
- Assisting lawyers/paralegals in document preparation and completion of corporate/commercial and property transactions and projects
- Post-secondary education in Paralegal studies or equivalent knowledge/experience
- Prior legal administrative experience in the areas of Corporate and Property Law is an asset
- Clear and effective written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated strength in written communication – proper spelling and correct grammar are essential
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment as well as independently, taking initiative when/where appropriate
- Demonstrated discretion and sound judgement with a high degree of integrity and trust in handling of highly sensitive, confidential information
- Ability to effectively prioritize, track, and follow-up on outstanding items with all parties including lawyers, colleagues, and clients
- Keen attention to detail and high degree of accuracy
- Strong work ethic – Accepts responsibility for completed work in terms of accuracy, deadlines, etc.
- Energetic, flexible, and willing to pitch in whenever necessary, including additional hours as required
- Calm under pressure with superior interpersonal skills
- Capacity to meet deadlines and manage multiple competing priorities
- Strong analytical skills to effectively think a problem through and offer resolutions
- Highly computer literate
The new Legal Assistant is needed as soon as possible. If you are interested in this dynamic role and meet the requirements of this position, please apply with resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Patterson Law is an established Nova Scotia law firm with offices in Truro, Halifax, New Glasgow Bridgewater, and Pictou and with clients whose interests range from global to purely local. Our more than 160 lawyers and staff are dedicated to meeting our clients’ diverse legal needs. We endeavour to maintain the highest standard of service to our clients. This can only be accomplished by employing qualified, educated, and motivated staff.
We are pleased to offer our staff a competitive salary, group insurance coverage, and pension plan membership after a year.
Patterson Law hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to employment equity and welcome diversity. Applications are encouraged from all interested and qualified individuals.
Internal and external candidates will be considered simultaneously for this posting.