Legal Assistant, Litigation (Truro)
Published May 26, 2022
Patterson Law is an established Nova Scotia law firm with offices in Truro, New Glasgow, Halifax, Bridgewater, and Pictou and with clients whose interests range from global to purely local. Our more than 150 lawyers and staff are dedicated to meeting our clients’ diverse legal needs. We endeavour to maintain the highest standard of service to our clients. This can only be accomplished by employing qualified, educated and motivated staff.
We have an immediate opening for an experienced Legal Assistant at our Truro location, 10 Church Street.
The Legal Assistant will provide legal & administrative support to the lawyers in the Truro Litigation Group.
Standard work hours are 34.5 per week. Some flexibility and occasional overtime will be required.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Support – Provide legal and administrative support to designated lawyers
- General Accountabilities – Personal liaison with client when appropriate; Liaising with external lawyers and others when appropriate; Booking court dates, discoveries, and communicate with courts/registries; Scheduling and arranging meetings, court appearances, conferences, seminars, lunches, dinners, travel, etc. when required; Coordination and editing of lawyers’ draft statements; Maintenance and submission of time as appropriate; Dealing with lawyers’ unapplied time reports; Preparing pre-bills; Attend to coordination and preparation of bulk mailings to clients and reporting documentation, when directed by the lawyers; Assist lawyers with non-firm activities (e.g. political, community, charitable, etc.)
- Mail – Open and date stamp mail, and route to the appropriate lawyers; Preparation of signed letters for mailing and ensuring all enclosures are included
- Transcription – All word processing requirements
- Records Management – Filing, custody, organization of files and ongoing maintenance of files in accordance with group procedures and manuals; Opening and closing of files, culling, shredding, preparation for filming/scanning; Electronic file management, including receiving, renaming, saving, and transferring documents using file sharing software, such as TitanFile; General housekeeping with regard to personal workstation and common areas within the office
- Telephone Communications – Messages; Arranging appointments, conference calls; Client inquiries; Client liaison re ensuring calls are returned; Advising Reception of whereabouts
- Correspondence – Preparation of standard form letters; composing draft letters of a routine and more complex nature
- Documentation – Preparation of standard precedent documents; Organize, assemble, and draft motion documents, notices of action, affidavits, trial and appeal books; Familiarity with the Firm’s precedent indices; Drafting documents of a routine and more complex nature
- Other – Additional duties as assigned based on the Firm’s and designated lawyers’ requirements
- Successful completion of Paralegal diploma or equivalent
- Prior experience as a Legal Assistant
- Knowledge & experience in Litigation is preferred
- Highly detailed-oriented and impeccably organized
- Genuine team player, who thrives on contributing to the team’s success
- Ability to effectively prioritize, track, and follow-up on outstanding items with all parties involved including the lawyers, colleagues, and clients
- Accurately follows instructions and asks questions to clarify requirements & ensure work is done properly
- Strong judgment with comfort to act independently and anticipate lawyers’ needs
- Excellent proofreading, spelling, and grammar skills
- Strong keyboarding and transcription skills
- Technologically proficient with a strong ability to learn, embrace, and effectively use new technology
- Energetic, flexible, and willing to pitch in wherever necessary
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
If you are interested and meet the requirements of this position, please apply with resume and cover letter to email@example.com by Friday, June 17, 2022.
We are pleased to offer our staff a competitive salary, group insurance coverage, and pension plan membership after a year.
Patterson Law hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to employment equity and welcome diversity. Applications are encouraged from all interested and qualified individuals. Internal and external candidates may be considered simultaneously for this posting.