Legal Assistant, Family & Criminal Law (Truro)
Published March 3, 2022
We are seeking an experienced and energetic Legal Assistant to join our Truro Litigation group.
The Legal Assistant, under lawyer direction, will provide legal and administrative support, particularly in the areas of criminal and family law and in the overall management of the assigned lawyer(s) practice.
Location: Truro – 10 Church Street
Work Schedule: Standard work hours are 34.5 per week; 9:00-5:00 Monday to Friday. Some flexibility and occasional overtime may be required.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Manage, coordinate, and ensure the smooth flow of work in the assigned lawyers’ practice, which includes both Family and Criminal Law
- General administrative duties including file and records management, transcription, scheduling and arranging meetings, conferences, seminars, lunches, dinners, travel, etc. when required; coordination of lawyers’ billing and following up regarding unpaid accounts
- Manage incoming emails and correspondence and filing electronically in appropriate shared file management system
- Establish and organize client files, monitor calendars, meet deadlines, document actions, and maintain a reminder/bring forward system to ensure necessary steps are initiated in a timely fashion
- Assist with preparing, compiling, serving, and filing court documents and other legal correspondence and forms
- Effectively manage family clients’ applications and intake, obtaining required information to complete draft affidavits, financial statements, and other required forms
- Manage, prepare and submit client office expenses, and cheque requisitions for disbursements in a timely manner
- Prepare, draft and review correspondence and legal documents including pleadings, briefs, court orders, affidavits, separation agreements and legal memoranda, and other documents as directed by the lawyer
- Maintain lawyer calendars, including appointment scheduling, court dates and other matters
- Assist with internal and external coordination of logistics with respect to examinations for discovery, trials, and hearings
- Keep clients informed by maintaining contact and communicating case progress; Communicate with clients, opposing counsel, police, Crown Attorney’s office, and court as required
- Collaborate with counsel, clients and vendors for the collection, review and production of documents
- Liaise with multiple court offices to acquire copies of documents from Court files
- Arrange courier service of documents
- Take a proactive approach to urgent matters by initiating the necessary action, particularly when the lawyers are away from the office to attend court or meet with clients
- Prepare forms and follow internal and external protocols
- Any other additional projects and tasks as required.
- Successful completion of Paralegal diploma or equivalent
- At least two (2) years’ experience in legal administration, preferably in support of Family and Criminal Law practice
- Understanding of various criminal and family law proceedings, including good working knowledge of legal terminology, legal research, court procedures, Criminal Code of Canada and Children and Family Services Act
- Applied knowledge of court rules and procedures
- Ability to work independently, taking initiative when appropriate and having sound judgment to know when to seek lawyer guidance before acting
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and exercise extreme discretion
- Highly organized, detail-oriented with the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and work well under pressure
- Ability to manage a high volume of files, demonstrating good judgment and utmost professionalism at all times and particularly when working under pressure
- Ability to effectively prioritize, track, and follow-up on outstanding items with all parties involved including the lawyers, colleagues, and clients
- Excellent typing and communication skills (verbal and written), including attention to detail and accuracy and capacity to work calmly under pressure of deadlines and multiple competing priorities
- Energetic, flexible, and willing to pitch in wherever necessary
If you are interested in this fast-paced role and meet the requirements of this position, please apply with resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Patterson Law is an established Nova Scotia law firm with offices in Truro, New Glasgow, Halifax, Bridgewater, and Pictou and with clients whose interests range from global to purely local. Our more than 150 lawyers and staff are dedicated to meeting our clients’ diverse legal needs. We endeavour to maintain the highest standard of service to our clients. This can only be accomplished by employing qualified, educated, and motivated staff.
We are pleased to offer our staff a competitive salary, group insurance coverage, and pension plan membership after a year.
Patterson Law hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to employment equity and welcome diversity. Applications are encouraged from all interested and qualified individuals.
Internal and external candidates will be considered simultaneously for this posting.