Legal Assistant/Paralegal, Corporate/Commercial
Published June 6, 2022
Supporting the assigned lawyer(s), the Corporate/Commercial Legal Assistant/Paralegal is a hybrid role providing legal and administrative support to Corporate/Commercial lawyer(s) as well as completing higher level billable work. The position will have revenue production targets set by management for the billable work completed.
Location: New Glasgow – 610 East River Road
Work Schedule: Standard work hours are 35 per week. Some flexibility and overtime can be expected during peak periods.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Managing, coordinating, and ensuring the smooth flow of work in the assigned lawyer(s’) practice.
- Effectively manage client intake, obtaining required information for identification purposes, accurate contact information, etc.
- Ensuring files are opened in the Accounting system as well as physical files
- Filing, organization of files, and ongoing maintenance of files in accordance with lawyer procedures; Closing of files, culling, shredding, preparation for scanning and saving to the document management system.
- General administrative duties, including transcription, scheduling, and arranging meetings, conferences, seminars, lunches, dinners, travel, etc. when required; coordination of lawyers’ billing and following up regarding unpaid accounts; managing incoming and outgoing mail
- As directed by the lawyer, prepare, draft, and review correspondence and legal documents maintaining electronic copies and paper copies, if necessary
- Under the supervision of a lawyer, exercise independent judgment and resourcefulness in the resolution of problems which may involve the gathering, coordination, verification and compilation of documents and information
- Maintain lawyer calendars including appointment scheduling, submission deadlines, etc.
- Ensuring the lawyer(s) are provided with ongoing status of progress and flagging items for timely follow-up
- Communicating promptly and effectively (oral and written) with all involved parties including clients, lawyers, colleagues, government agencies, etc. with a view to the accurate interpretation of instructions and requirements
- Maintaining up-to-date time records and capturing billable hours accurately to ensure proper billing
- Organization and maintenance of Nova Scotia and Federal corporations and societies, extra-provincial registrations in other Canadian jurisdictions, and business name and limited partnership registrations
- Attending to share alterations and transactions, name and other corporate changes, dissolutions, continuances, amalgamations, and restorations;
- Filing corporate documents online through the Registry of Joint Stocks
- Conducting due diligence searches and reviews, organize corporate records, draft corporate documents and assist in rectifying deficiencies in corporate records
- Assisting lawyers in document preparation and completion of corporate/commercial transactions and projects, including corporate restructurings, reorganizations, amalgamations, acquisitions, and mergers.
- Completing PPSA searches, registrations, renewals, and discharges, as required.
- Post-secondary education in Paralegal studies or equivalent knowledge/experience
- Prior legal administrative experience in the area of Corporate Law
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the Companies Act
- Good working knowledge of the Registry of Joint Stocks system
- Experience working with the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) is a definite asset
- Ability to work independently and take initiative when/where appropriate
- Demonstrate discretion and sound judgement with a high degree of integrity and trust in handling of highly sensitive confidential information
- Ability to effectively prioritize, track, and follow-up on outstanding items with all parties including lawyers, colleagues, and clients
- Calm under pressure with superior interpersonal skills
- Capacity to meet deadlines and manage multiple competing priorities
- Strong analytical skills to effectively think a problem through and offer resolutions
- Clear and effective written and verbal communication skills
- Keen attention to detail and high degree of accuracy
- Strong work ethic – Accepts responsibility for completed work in terms of accuracy, deadlines, etc.
- Energetic, flexible, and willing to pitch in whenever necessary, including additional hours as required
- Highly computer literate
The new Legal Assistant/Paralegal is needed as soon as possible. If you are interested in this dynamic role and meet the requirements of this position, please apply with resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Patterson Law is an established Nova Scotia law firm with offices in Truro, Halifax, New Glasgow, Bridgewater, and Pictou and with clients whose interests range from global to purely local. Our more than 150 lawyers and staff are dedicated to meeting our clients’ diverse legal needs. We endeavour to maintain the highest standard of service to our clients. This can only be accomplished by employing qualified, educated, and motivated staff.
We are pleased to offer our staff a competitive salary, group insurance coverage, and pension plan membership after a year.
Patterson Law hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to employment equity and welcome diversity. Applications are encouraged from all interested and qualified individuals.
Internal and external candidates will be considered simultaneously for this posting.