Paralegal, Tax/Commercial (Downtown Halifax)
Published September 24, 2021
Reporting to the assigned lawyer(s) and the Corporate Services Coordinator, the Tax/Corporate Paralegal will provide legal support to Tax/Corporate lawyer(s), and occasionally commercial lawyers, with the primary role of the completion of corporate documents in relation to complex tax reorganizations. The position will have revenue production targets set by management for the billable work completed with competitive salary and benefits.
Location: Halifax Office – 1801 Hollis Street
Work Schedule: Standard work hours are 34.5 per week. Flexibility and overtime can be expected during peak periods, specifically September through early January.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- As directed by the lawyer, drafting and reviewing legal documents for transactions ranging from incorporations to amalgamations to continuances to complex tax-driven reorganizations, primarily for Nova Scotia companies but also for corporations in other jurisdictions.
- Managing, coordinating and ensuring the smooth flow of work in the assigned lawyer(s’) practice, including responsibility for filings and filing deadlines.
- Organizing files, and ongoing maintenance of files in accordance with group protocols.
- Attending conferences, seminars, lunches, dinners, etc. when required.
- Maintaining minute book records for corporate clients, in accordance with group protocols.
- Under the supervision of a lawyer, exercising independent judgment and resourcefulness in the resolution of problems which may involve the gathering, coordination, verification and compilation of documents and information.
- Ensuring the lawyer(s) are provided with ongoing status of progress and flagging items for timely follow-up.
- Communicating promptly and effectively (oral and written) with all involved parties including clients, lawyers, colleagues, accountants, government agencies, etc. with a view to the accurate interpretation of instructions and requirements.
- Maintaining up-to-date time records and capturing billable hours accurately to ensure proper billing.
- Minimum of three (3) years, with a preference for five (5) plus years, experience as a paralegal in the areas of Tax/Corporate law
- Post-secondary education in Paralegal studies or equivalent knowledge/experience
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the Companies Act (Nova Scotia)
- Experienced user of the Registry of Joint Stocks system
- Ability to work independently and take initiative when/where appropriate
- Demonstrate discretion and sound judgement with a high degree of integrity and trust in handling of highly sensitive confidential information
- Ability to effectively prioritize, track, and follow-up on outstanding items with all parties including lawyers, colleagues, and clients
- Calm under pressure with superior interpersonal skills
- Capacity to meet deadlines and manage multiple competing priorities
- Strong analytical skills to effectively think a problem through and offer resolutions
- Clear and effective written and verbal communication skills
- Keen attention to detail and high degree of accuracy
- Strong work ethic – Accepts responsibility for completed work in terms of accuracy, deadlines, etc.
- Energetic, flexible, and willing to pitch in whenever necessary, including additional hours as required
- Highly computer literate
The new Tax/Corporate paralegal is needed as soon as possible, and the successful candidate will receive a $2500 signing bonus (conditions apply). If you are interested in this dynamic role and meet the requirements of this position, please apply with resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Applicants without requisite experience will not be considered.
Patterson Law is an established Nova Scotia law firm with offices in Truro, New Glasgow, Halifax, Bridgewater, and Pictou and with clients whose interests range from global to purely local. Our more than 150 lawyers and staff are dedicated to meeting our clients’ diverse legal needs. We endeavour to maintain the highest standard of service to our clients. This can only be accomplished by employing qualified, educated, and motivated staff.
We are pleased to offer our staff a competitive salary, group insurance coverage, and pension plan membership after a year.
Patterson Law hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to employment equity and welcome diversity. Applications are encouraged from all interested and qualified individuals.
Internal and external candidates will be considered simultaneously for this posting.