Michael M. Kennedy
Corporate and Commercial Lawyer
Client relationships are the foundation of Michael’s practice. His business practice focuses on business structures, corporate transactions and financing, resource development and real estate development. Michael is recognized by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers™ in Canada in the fields of Commercial Leasing and Real Estate Law.
- Michael’s corporate transaction experience includes acquisition, development and financing for public and private developments. He also provides strategic advice to businesses of all types and sizes.
- His resource development experience has included leading public utility acquisitions of land and rights for wind power and biomass generation.
- Michael’s busy commercial real estate practice is varied and includes work on P-3 type developments as well as provision of legal services for public and private enterprises.
- Best Lawyers in Canada: recognized for Real Estate Law (2008-2023)
- Best Lawyers in Canada: recognized for Commercial Leasing (2018-2023)
- Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society
- Canadian Bar Association
- International Council of Shopping Centres (ICSC)
- Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA)
- Member of various plan review committees for local municipalities
- Board of Directors, Building Owners and Managers Association
- Course materials and lectures, “Introduction to Real Estate Management”, Saint Mary’s University and Dalhousie University, 2010-present
- Paper Presentations, “Commercial Leasing in Atlantic Canada”, “Professional Responsibility in the David and Goliath Context”, “Iron Clad Case” and “The Life Cycle of a Lease”, Annual ICSC Canadian Law Conference, 2010-2014
- Presentations, CBA Refresher Courses on commercial leases, 2011 and 2012
- Numerous presentations to BOMA including “Rights and Remedies of Commercial Landlords”, “Green Leases” (2012), “Leasing Law Update to the National meeting of BOMA (2013)
- Lectures on the Law and its application to resource development within Treaty 9 in Northwestern Ontario, Lakehead University, 2012 and 2013
- Presentation on resource development to a remote First Nations Reserve, (“KI”), Ontario, 2012
- Presentation on the duty to consult to the “I Do Business” Conference in 2013 Presentation to the Association of Paralegals on Treaty Rights and the Duty to Consult, 2013
- Bar Admission: Nova Scotia, 1981
- LL.B. (Dalhousie University, 1980)
- BSc., Major in Mathematics (Dalhousie University, 1974)