Corporate and Commercial
Associated Areas of law
At Patterson Law, we understand how important good decisions are to the overall well-being of an organization, no matter what its size. After all, we run a successful business too. We believe it is essential to understand your long-term business plans and we take the time to listen before responding with advice and creative solutions. We are able to adapt and provide appropriate suggestions to meet your most complex business needs.
Our lawyers have experience working with business owners ranging from an entrepreneur in the early start up stages to large, multinational corporations continuing to expand and grow. We have been fortunate to work with businesses across a number of industries, both private and public including in manufacturing, construction, distribution, natural resources, fisheries, farming, forestry, professional services, cannabis, technology, transportation, retail and hospitality.
Our lawyers also work regularly for clients with in-house general or corporate counsel to provide needed external advice or resources including on specialized topics. We are also able to direct our clients to legal resources outside Canada to assist in providing advice from a global perspective and regularly serve as local counsel in Canada for foreign clients.
Our commercial practice encompasses the areas of general corporate and commercial law, which touches on a wide range of topics including:
- incorporating corporations and companies, including unlimited liability corporations
- advising on the creation of partnerships
- corporate structuring and restructuring
- preparing shareholder agreements
- corporate governance
- strategic planning
- banking, debt or equity financing
- negotiating, drafting and enforcing contracts including customer, supplier or franchise agreements
- regulatory compliance, including environmental
- protection of intellectual property including branding, patents, trademarks, industrial design and trade secrets
- tax planning
- purchases and sales, mergers, acquisitions and divestitures
- joint ventures, outsourcing and subcontracting
- real estate acquisitions, sales, and commercial leasing
- management of disputes including mediation, arbitration and litigation of disputes
- employment and labour matters
- succession planning for business owners
- wills and estate planning for business owners